Equality Diversity and Inclusion
Take a look at our fantastic new EDI books. These were donated by a parent. Thank you very much!
We ‘sow the seed.’ We provide the children with information and optional choices around equality, diversity and inclusion.
We ‘engage’ the children in equality, diversity and inclusion topics, offering culture days and opportunities for them to experience information and resources around other cultures.
We ‘develop’ the skills to be used in the ‘mission’ through: Teaching cultures and beliefs, about inclusivity and diversity. Through questioning and application children widen their knowledge and understanding. We enable children to explore and research at ever opportunity.
We ‘harvest’ by giving children independent opportunities to offer their views, opinions, knowledge and understanding of equality, diversity and inclusion.
At Aspin Park Academy, we will support all children to be reflective learners and promote equality and diversity as part of our EDI curriculum.
Our aim is to create a classroom environment where all pupils can thrive together and understand that individual characteristics make people unique and not 'different' in a negative way. We are great communicators and discuss aspects and offer valued balanced opinions so that children can make informed choices and decisions in their learning and life. We encourage children to listen to worldwide aspects around equality and diversity and promote this through the curriculum.
Children will have the opportunity to consider varied contexts of equality, diversity and inclusion in their learning and how we deliver aspects through teaching and learning to ensure children understand the following aspects;
- The challenge of negative attitudes amongst pupils.
- Views and opinions of others
- Avoiding stereotypes in curricular resources and examples.
- Setting clear rules regarding how people treat each other.
- Treating all pupils and staff equally and fairly.
In our curriculum we provide many opportunities for the children to experience different cultures and beliefs;
- Celebrate different cultural festivals
- Learn about the different backgrounds of pupils in classes/school
- Include a variety of books in classrooms around EDI
- Hold food fairs to celebrate different dishes from around the world
- Have projects as a whole school around EDI
- Set presentation projects for students on a culture or nation
- Host a culture day
- Hold events with guests and motivational speakers from different backgrounds
Pupils will have a secure understanding of equality, diversity and inclusion. We want children to be confident in expressing their views and opinions in a balanced and informed way. We want all children to feel valued, included and work collaboratively together to support learning, views, independence, emotional and personal development.